Thursday, August 16, 2007

Day 15: Never Under Estimate the Value of a Multi Tool


Although the El Rancho Hotel is an interesting place, it's old. Hazel was getting ready for her morning shower and the cold water knob fell off in her hand. She tried to screw it back on, but to no avail. The World's Best Assistant (that would be me) never leaves home without at least one multi-tool, so I reached into my bag of many things and was able to provide a wrench!

Since I'm tooting my own horn this morning, while in Grants, NM we made a short pit-stop. Hazel was taking her bathroom break and I my nicotine break. I saw this really big crow sitting on top of one of the gas pumps, and knowing how much Hazel wants a crow of her own, I thought maybe I could lure it down with a piece of beef jerky. NO...I didn't have a clue what I was going to do with it if I was able to get a hold of it. Big Bird watched me in that disdainful way only crows have, and shifted his gaze to the chunk of jerky I tossed on the ground. He looked at me....looked at the jerky...looked at whatever it was he had on top of the gas pump. He reached down and picked up his current treasure and THREW IT AT ME! The damn bird THREW chicken bones at me!!!!! Guess my beef jerky wasn't to his liking!



New Mexico if full of Prairie Dogs and we kept seeing them running around and trying to cross the road. When we stopped for gas, I wanted to get a picture of them. So, armed with Carmel Sweet and Salty Chex Mix, I walked out behind a gas station (potty break again), and thought I could entice one of the little bastards up to the camera. They were running all over the place...everywhere except around me! We decided to take pictures of the Giant Arrows instead.


We made the trip through the Pained Desert and the Petrified Forest yesterday. It was over 100 degrees when we started our drive, but cooled down to lower to mid nineties by the time we got out to do the "brief hiking trail" in the Crystal Forest portion of the tour. The views are simply stunning, and amazing how it changes from footstep to footstep. The colors are just amazing! I remember that as a kid this was stop on a family vacation. I was very disappointed at that time because I was expecting Crayola colors. The flat boys enjoyed the views as well, but it was pretty hot to be carting their floppy butts in and out of the heat.



One of the designated stops is called Newspaper Rock. It says that you can see the pytroglyphs on the rocks, and of course we looked and looked. I was expecting to see big ol' rock paintings. Well, there are rock paintings, but they aren't big and fortunately the park has provided telescopes for viewing. There is even a great big sign showing what the markings look like so you now what you are looking for. Ol' Eagle Eye me, finally found what we were looking for. There's a spiral looking thing, a squiggly looking thing, some horseshoe looking things, and two people looking things. One of the people looking things had a tail (??) OK, it wasn't a tail at all, but with little kids standing around...well it was just better to leave some things unsaid. Until Hazel saw it. "Anatomically correct rock paintings...who knew?" Of course all the moms and dads went back for a 2nd look and all the kids were going "what's she talking about?" Hasty exit.

Speaking of hasty exits. The Queen of the Road is getting packed and ready to get going this morning. I still need to get my tanned body (did I mention that I am turning a beautiful shade of bronze...on one side) up and moving.






Love from the road!




Penny S. Head

3 comments:

Glinda said...

Leave it to my mother to announce something inappropriate! turrets maybe!?

Hazel Walker said...

It was not inappropriate. I simply was surprised by the fact they were anatomically correct and said so. My god those acient people were very proud of their equipment, it was big compared to them! Hazel

Shirley said...

Leave it to Hazel!! ROFLMBO!!! And I was equally laughing my butt off about the crow throwing chicken bones at Penny!! That is just hysterical!! :) But....my question today is this:
Is that a HOTEL hanger I see hanging on the shoulders of Flat Dad and Flat Mike?