Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Day 23: San Bernardino

This evening I met an incredible man whose name is DeMarco. He is originally from Istanbul, but is also an American citizen currently serving in the US Army and stationed in Turkey. I'm now sure exactly why he is here, but I'm sure it some type of training. By the way, his Grandmother is Greek.

I went to the patio behind our hotel to smoke a cigarette and listen to a J.D. Robb audio book, and of course, a total stranger noticed the headset and started up a conversation. I swear, there is sign on my forehead that says, "tell me your story." Fortunately, I took the time to listen. We shared some Belgium chocolate, some Native American cigarettes (yes, they are legal...no additives just tobacco and boy did it go straight to my head), and I received quite the education about Turkey. It seems that the bible, as we know it today, was created from 2,000 gospels there. It is home to the largest cathedral and mosque in the world. He told me about the "early" Christians, and showed me the elaborate homes, and a church, they carved out of the mountains. He had his laptop with him, I was treated to a visual voyage through Turkey. We had a wonderful conversation about philosophy, ideology, and "just and unjust."

Thank you DeMarco for a very insightful hour and a half. It is these impromptu meetings that have made this trip a true education.

Penny S. Head

2 comments:

Shirley said...

What a fun meeting! I love taking up conversations like that with total strangers! :)

MaryRuth said...

We meet such wonderful, friendly people whenever we travel. They are so proud of their little spot on this earth and love to share it with others, just as any of us would do if we met a traveller on our home turf.

This was the case when we met Harley_Annabelle
I didn't quite know what to think at first, but I just went with the "moment" and it turned out to be one of the best experiences I have ever had.

Here's a link to our Route66Movie

We only went a short part of the road, and I can't wait until we can do the whole thing!