Saturday, August 4, 2007


As we prepare for day 4, it's time to reflect on Day 3. Mike and Dad enjoyed the Historical Museum in Joliet as much as we did. Elaine (see Hazel's post) thought our Flat Boys were a hoot, and couldn't wait to stage the next photo.


I'm learning that Route 66ers are a fun lot of people. They all have a story to share, and each one leads you to the next stop. Of course, we are living the tourist dream. If it looks like a photo opportunity, we have to stop and snap a picture. My family will be happy to know that I'm getting better at the digital picture thing. You can almost always tell what I was aiming at by now. However, I'm no longer allowed to touch the GPS screen in Baby. Maybe by the time we head home, I'll be allowed to do that again.


The Flat Boys were delighted to stop at the Polka Dot Drive Inn! The two of them have certainly given this trip some added value. People will stop and stare as we unroll our doll, and when they realize that we are taking pictures, everyone has had a good laugh.

We met a couple yesterday that has come from the Netherlands to do Route 66! She had on an Elvis skirt, and sleevless top. Not wanting to stare, but doing so anyway, I found that she had a tatoo of Elvis on her arm! This is their 2nd trip on 66, and they are going to Tennessee when the finish so they can attend a Rock-a-billy festival. I was pretty blown away by that!

So, today we start Day 4....are we ever going to get out of Illinois? Stay tuned. Perhaps if we don't feel the need to buy food or drink at every diner/drive-in/speakeasy (that was sooo cool) we visit, we'll make better time. Although, my lesson learned yesterday was that "making time" is not the important thing right now. People come from all over the world to drive our Mother Road. I'm grateful that I have this opportunity to experience it and appreciate it myself.

5 comments:

Becky said...

Are you gals sure 1 month is enough time??? We made it thru 3 states in one day...you can't make it thru 1 state in three days. But how Mom and I are enjoying the trip. She called me at work yesterday to tell me you called, and she is waiting at the door for the latest pictures. The Flat Boys seem to be doing alright with the ladies. Next time it's the Fat Sister...Me. Keep up the good journaling...I'm sure the state of Illinois will reward you greatly for the advertising! Love ya'...Mom and Becky, the Fat Girls! (Notice what a blogger I have become...welcome 21st century)

Hazel Walker said...

Becky, I am begining to wonder if we will make it past Missouri. But we are seeing lots of great stuff.

Welcome to blogging!

Hazel

Penny said...

Hey Fat Sister, I'm so glad to see you blogging. You should start your own..."The World According to Becky." It would be a wonderful thing!

We are already planning our next trip in 2009. We are going to do the Lincoln National Highway! It will probably take us 2 months, and we will do a chain type doll....you, mom, Mike, Dad, and the Granny Panty Social Club. We'll just unfold you all when we take pictures.

Penny

Dreki said...

I love the pictures, keep 'em comming! The one with flat dad and Betty Boop is great!

Shirley said...

OMG!! I LOVE the pictures with Flat Dad and Flat Mike!! What a hoot! Penny I love that the GPSC girls will be going with you on the next adventure!