Saturday, August 4, 2007

Day 4: Pontiac to Springfield

Today's adventure started out at the Route 66 Museum and Hall of Fame in Pontiac, Illinois....yes Illinois...where we met Durelle and Marilyn Pritchard. Durelle met us at the door, and is very proud of their fairly new museum. Their Hall of Fame focuses primarily on the people that made Route 66 famous, the service men, gas station owners, and the like. These wonderful people were fascinated with the Flat boys and graciously posed with my guys for some pictures.









The people of the Route 66 Association of Illinois, and the merchants along the Mother Road, take great pride in their stretch of this highway. In Towanda, a portion of the original 2-lane road has been turned into a memory lane....a short section for pedestrian traffic only with newly planted trees, plaques, and information boards. As you step onto the road, there is a box with a spiral notebook to sign in. Looking through the pages, I am once again amazed at the number of people from countries far away that come here just to travel the historic pavement. Brochures are placed in boxes along the Memory Lane and are printed in German, Spanish, French and Japanese. Really gives you a sense of who is getting their kicks on Route 66!





If there is one disappointment, it is the obvious lack of Starbucks! When Hazel and I went to Virginia a few years ago, our progress could easily be monitored by tracking the Starbucks between Indy and Richmond, VA. I'm sure that we hit 90 percent of them. This trip, however, we have not seen a Starbucks since we escaped...er, left...Chicago. If I can't have my cigarettes, then I darn well want my coffee! But, let's not get started on the lack of nicotine. I've been good and have not complained, and fortunately, Hazel knows me well enough to recognize Marlboro withdrawal.





Route 66 hosts 3 Giants. There's the Gemini Giant in Wilmington, the Bunyon Giant (with his big, giant hot dot) in Atlanta, and a third one to be named later in Oklahoma. Dad and Mike like the Hot Dog Giant.

~Penny 8/5/07

"He lit a match...

To check the tank...

That's why they call him...

Skinless Frank...

Burma-Shave"

2 comments:

Guyla said...

Hey Girls,
Green Guyla here...
I just caught up with you! Good thing your travelling at a slow pace. Just wanted to say Hi and thank you for sharing your trip. With your colorful descriptions of people and places and the pics; I feel like I'm out there with the four of you! Take care, have fun and know I'm praying for your safe travel and return.

Shirley said...

What???? No Starbucks????? Poor poor Penny!! Tell me......the giant with the hot dog.....what hotdog company is he advertising for? :)