Friday, August 3, 2007

Day Three: Just How Big is Illinois?







As we prepare to hit the road for Day Three, I have to ask myself, just how big is Illinois anyway?

Chicago was a blast, but then Hazel and I always have fun in Chicago. A lot of walking, a lot of shopping. Fortunately, this time, we did more walking than shopping. Just no place to put a lot of treasures in Baby. However, after a whole lot of walking, it was time to get this show on the road. The whole point of going to Chicago in the first place was to begin our trip at the "official" starting point. After several hours of wrong turns, closed streets (Lollapalooza was in town), rush hour traffic in downtown Chicago, we decided to give up the search for the starting intersection. Getting out of Chicago proved to be an adventure in itself, and after a few more wrong turns (how many times can you go past Division St anyway?!?!?), we stumbled upon our path.

Anyone who has traveled with me knows that although I can tell my left from my right, I'm map challenged! When we stopped for dinner at a really cool McDonald's in Romeoville, I discovered that the maps in our highly recommended travel guide are the original maps from 1933! No wonder our directions didn't match the maps!

Today's goal...maps! Real, 2007 maps!

Lessons Learned:
1. Don't panic, we don't have to be anywhere, or be responsible to anybody for 5 weeks!
2. Cinnamon Surge Nicorette gum will set your mouth on fire!
3. If you're going to stand along the side of the road with a life-sized doll, taking pictures of road signs, you've got to expect people to yell out their windows as they pass you by.

1 comment:

Shirley said...

Too funny!! I can just see the two of you now driving circles around Chicago!